LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — While hundreds of thousands of people are celebrating a causa di Times Square and acceso the Las Vegas Strip — people a causa di towns across the country are also ringing a causa di the new year a causa di unique ways.
Many of the local celebrations involve lowering – ora dropping – something at the stroke of midnight.
From the traditional ball drop to a pickle drop, hog drop, drag queen drop, and pirogi drop there’s something for everyone.
The information a causa di the list below was gathered from various sites.
- Suppellettile: A 600-pound, lit Moon Pie is lowered from the RSA Tower a causa di the “MoonPie Over Suppellettile.”
- Fairhope: A ball is dropped.
- Wetumpka: A meteora is dropped at the Old Courthouse at 11 pm Central Time a causa di honor of the meteora that successo the River City. At the stroke of midnight, a leader fireworks display takes place over the river.
- Dothan: Nicknamed “The Peanut Capital of the World”, this city has an annual “Peanut Drop”.
- Flagstaff: A pine cone is dropped from the balcony of the Weatherford .
- Tempe: An illuminated sunburst was dropped while the Fiesta Bowl Block Festa and Parade were sponsored by Sunkist, but replaced by a Giant Tortilla Chip when Tostitos Tortilla Chips took over the sponsorship from Sunkist.
- Show Low: A parità of clubs (2♣) debuted a causa di 2011–12. The card, which is the namesake of the main road through Show Low, is, according to legend the origin of the town’s name (the town’s founders allegedly derived the name “show low” from a gioco of poker where the winner showed a 2♣, the lowest card a causa di the deck).
- Tucson: Starting a causa di 2014, a large risposta taco was dropped from the roof of the Congress.
- Prescott: A boot is dropped.
- Yuma: Con 2018, the city introduced the “Iceberg Drop”, lowering a giant, illuminated lettuce.
- Fayetteville: A hog sculpture (sometimes covered a causa di lights) is dropped.
- Fort Smith: A ball is dropped.
- Orange County: An orange is dropped at Disneyland.
- Sacramento: A diamond-shaped ball was dropped a causa di 2009, but this was discontinued a causa di 2010. A proposal to revive the ball drop for 2013 was rejected.
- South Lake Tahoe: A gondola is lowered at midnight Eastern Time.
- Temecula: A bunch of grapes is dropped.
- Dewey Beach: A skimboarder is dropped.
- The “Personalità Orange” at the InterContinental Miami .
- Brooksville: A 200-pound tangerine is dropped.
- Fort Lauderdale: As a symbol of the city’s nickname The Venice of America, an anchor is dropped.
- Key West (Sloppy Joe’s Caffè): The Key West Conch Drop, where a six-foot Queen Conch Shell drops 20 feet to the cima of the to usher a causa di the New Year.
- Key West (801 Saloon): The 801 Saloon drops a ruby slipper with drag queen Gary “Sushi” Marion inside each year.
- Miami is home to “The Personalità Orange” Drop. A 35-foot piece of flat neon signage, dubbed “Mr. Neon” and designed a causa di the shape of an orange with sunglasses, rises 400 feet until it reaches the cima of the Intercontinental Miami and is dropped from the cima.
- Con years when the Miami Heat play a home gioco acceso New Year’s Eve, American Airlines Suolo hosts a New Year’s Eve basketball drop for those attending the gioco.
- Orlando: The Annual Church Street Entertainment New Year’s Eve Street Festa includes “a huge televisione wall, confetti cannons, fireworks, and the tradition of the Orange Drop high above Church Street”.
- Sarasota: A glowing pineapple is dropped at midnight to ring a causa di the new year a causa di southwest Florida.
- Winter Haven (Legoland): A Costruzioni brick is dropped at 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
- Destin: A ball is pulled over Destin Harbor.
- Fort Walton Beach: A ball is dropped.
- Panama City: An illuminated, 800-pound beach ball descends from a tower 12 stories high at midnight. At 8:30 p.m. there is a fireworks celebration and a “family ball drop” with 7,000 beach balls.
- Pensacola: A pelican is dropped.
- Atlanta: A peach is lowered as part of the annual Peach Drop, which had been held at Underground Atlanta from 1989 to 2017.
- Cornelia: Cornelia hosts a “Little Red Apple” Drop and Dance a causa di honor of the region’s apple growers. The “Personalità Red Apple” located at the train depot is not dropped.
- Duluth: A cerchio ball called the Soaring Spirit Ball is raised.
- Gainesville: The “Chuck the Chicken” Drop started a causa di 2009 to benefit the Humane Society of Northeast Georgia.
- Macon: A 6-foot wide lighted ball with metal cherry blossoms and pink lights is dropped a causa di honor of the International Cherry Blossom Manifestazione.
- Perry: A buzzard is lowered.
- Savannah: Since 2014, the Savannah Riverfront has hosted Up the Cup acceso River Street, featuring the raising of a to-go cup.
- Tallapoosa: A stuffed named Spencer is lowered.
- Unadilla: A hog is lowered at midnight.
- Winder: A Jug Drop takes place at the Barrow County Museum.
- Boise: Since 2014, a giant potato was dropped from the US Bank building a causa di downtown Boise. For 2016, the drop moved to the Idaho State Capitol building, and the organizers successfully crowdfunded a new “Glowtato” with internal lighting. KTVB televises the festivities most years.
- Emmett: Since 2016, a cherry has been raised.
- Twin Falls: Since 2002, a metal ball, bought at auction for $14, has been dropped from a pair of grain elevators.
- Des Plaines: A diamond is dropped.
- Rockford: A ball is lowered toward the Discovery Center building.
- Fort Wayne: A ball is dropped.
- Indianapolis: An Indy car is dropped.
- Kokomo: An aluminum 70-pound Ball with 34,000 lights is dropped.
- Muncie: A ball is dropped.
- Vincennes: The giant 18-foot, 500-pound steel-and-foam Watermelon Ball is raised 100 feet a causa di the air during the 60-second countdown at midnight, then the risposta releases 11 real locally-grown watermelons.
- Hammond / Whiting: A 10-foot Illuminated Pierogi will be lowered 90 feet during a countdown to Midnight.
- Tell City: An apple with an arrow through it (symbolizing Tell City’s namesake, William Tell) is dropped at City Vestibolo Park.
- Cedar Falls: A large cedar is lowered by a chain.
- Manhattan: “The Little Apple”, an apple-shaped aluminum ball (a risposta of the 1980s tempo Times Square Ball), is dropped, with the events televised by WIBW-TV a causa di Topeka until 2013–14.
- Prestonsburg a stella is raised.
- Bangor: A beach ball covered a causa di Christmas lights has been thrown chiuso the cima of a local restaurant since 2005.
- Eastport: A sardine is lowered a causa di a nod to the settore’s history a causa di the herring fishing and canning industry. Con honor of the nearby Canadian town of Saint Andrews, New Brunswick (situated across Passamaquoddy Bay), a red maple leaf is also lowered for 11 p.m ET (midnight Atlantic Time). Both objects were created by sculptor Bill Schaefer of East Machias.
- Kennebunk: A wild blueberry ball has dropped from the town’s First Parish Unitarian Universalist Church acceso Main Street since 2015.
- Machias: A giant plastic lobster, finanziaria a shovel and blueberries is lowered. It took place at Pat’s Disturbatore, during 2016.
- Baltimore: A cerchio ball is dropped.
- Berlin: Starting a causa di 2017, a ball will be lowered.
- Easton: A red crab is dropped.
- Frederick: A giant key is dropped above Carroll Creek.
- Havre de Grace: An eight-foot long, five-foot high wood-and-plastic foam-lit duck has been dropped since 2000.
- Ocean City: An illuminated beach ball is dropped.
- Princess Anne: A stuffed muskrat a causa di a cima hat and bow tie named Marshall P. Muskrat is dropped.
- Hagerstown: A giant doughnut is dropped a causa di honor of Krumpe’s Do-Nuts, a family-owned bakery that has been a causa di business since 1934.
- Ann Arbor: For 2014, a lit hockey puck was “dropped” a causa di honor of the NHL Winter Classic gioco occurring acceso New Year’s Day at Michigan Stadium.
- Detroit: A sculpture known as the “D Burst” (which is adorned with a giant letter “D”) is lowered at Campus Martius Park.
- Grand Rapids: A six-foot diameter steel ball is dropped a causa di Cerchia Parks Circle.
- Kalamazoo: A recyclable ball has been dropped since 2009.
- Ludington: A 6’ 5” diameter ball lit up with thousands of lights is lowered acceso a countdown to midnight.
- Marquette: A lighted ball is dropped from the Masonic Center along Washington St.
- Royal Oak: A ball is dropped at midnight.
- Traverse City: A cherry is dropped at midnight.
- Wyandott: A 1,000-pound lit steel ball is dropped at both 9 p.m. and midnight next to The Clock Tower downtown.
- Columbus: An illuminated 10-foot wide by 10-foot tall lit aluminum ball is hoisted over College Street 100 feet high as part of the “Having a Ball Downtown Block Festa”.
- Hattiesburg: A risposta of the original “Hub-Sign” is lowered a causa di Hattiesburg’s historic downtown district. The original 4-story “Hub-Sign” stood atop a downtown building for 35 years and served as a symbol of Hattiesburg’s heritage as the hub of the Gulf South.
- Kansas City, Missouri: Michael “The Doughboy” Maslak, the longest-tenured improviser at the ComedyCity improv theater, is draped a causa di lights and dropped by members of the troupe.
- Las Vegas – America’s Festa – officials close the Las Vegas Strip to traffic and allow people to gather acceso Las Vegas Boulevard to watch fireworks being shot chiuso the roofs of several of the large sfacelo hotels. Con downtown Las Vegas a rinfresco is also held acceso the Fremont Street Experience.
- Nicole Polizzi dropped a causa di Seaside Heights a causa di 2011.
- Hammonton: A blueberry was dropped to commence the year 2018.
- Point Pleasant: “The Millennium Mossbunker,” a mossbunker fish, was dropped for the year 2000.
- Seaside Heights: Snooki from MTV’s Seaside Heights-based reality series Jersey Shore was lowered inside a “ ball” a causa di 2011 for the rete televisiva privata’s New Year’s Eve special.
- Las Cruces: A 19-foot illuminated chrome chili pepper is dropped.
- Santa Fe: Since 2015, a Zia symbol has been raised 60 feet into the air over Santa Fe Plaza.
- Binghamton: A 6-foot-lighted ball is dropped.
- Brocton: A 14′ diameter ball is dropped from a height of 165′ a causa di front of the Saint Stephen’s at the Arches a causa di downtown Brockton.
- Buffalo: A lighted ball is dropped, at one time along with a Ford Edge autoveicolo.
- Cheektowaga: A ball is dropped during the day acceso New Year’s Eve to offer an alternative for families.
- New York City (Times Square): Con its current iteration since 2008–09, an 11,875 pounds (5,386 kg) ball covered a causa di Waterford Crystal panels has been lowered from the cima of One Times Square.
- New York City (rotating locations, Greenwood Heights for 2011): A giant lighted ukulele, dropped by “Sonic Uke” (a local ukulele playing duo), has been dropped each year a causa di a different location since 2004–05.
- Niagara Falls, New York: A ten-foot Gibson Guitar is dropped from a specially designed 120-foot scaffold at the stroke of midnight at the Duro Rock Cafe. It draws an anticipated crowd of 15,000 to 20,000.
- North Tonawanda: A ball is dropped as part of New Year’s acceso the Canal.
- Watertown: A beach ball is dropped at noon New Year’s Eve, which kicks chiuso the city’s season-long winter celebration, Snowtown USA.
- White Plains: A ball drops from a crane acceso the calcio d’angolo of Main Street and Renaissance Square a causa di downtown.
- Wilson: Two balls are dropped, one at 9 p.m. and the other at midnight.
- Mt. Olive: Pickle Drop
- Marion: Gold Nugget Drop
- Beaufort: A pirate is dropped.
- Black Creek: A large red heart drop represents “A Small Town with a Personalità Heart”.
- Brasstown: A Plexiglas pyramid containing a living was lowered from the roof of Clay Logan’s convenience store for The Possum Drop. The possum is turned loose at the end of the celebration.
- Burgaw: A blueberry drops a causa di reference to the town’s annual blueberry festa.
- Eastover: A three-foot tall, thirty-pound wooden flea is dropped.
- Charlotte: A lighted crown is raised, representing Charlotte’s nickname as “The Queen City”.
- Marion: A five-foot-tall illuminated gold nugget drops into a large doughnut.
- Mount Olive: The New Year’s Eve Pickle is lowered the Mt. Olive Pickle Company flagpole at 7 pm EST, midnight Greenwich Mean Time.
- Raleigh: A 900-pound copper-and-steel acorn, designed by sculptor David Benson to celebrate the city’s 1992 Bicentennial and Raleigh’s nickname, “The City of Oaks”, is lowered by a crane.
- Con years when the Carolina Hurricanes play at home acceso New Year’s Eve, PNC Suolo holds its own New Year’s Eve “puck drop” inside the for fans that attend the gioco.
- Chagrin Falls: A ball of popcorn is dropped.
- Cincinnati: A flying pig is “flown”, not dropped, confirming there is at least one occasion “when pigs fly”.
- Elmore: A sausage is dropped.
- Marion: Con the home of the annual Marion Popcorn Manifestazione and the home of the Wyandot Popcorn Company, a giant ball of popcorn is dropped.
- New Carlisle: A 7.5-foot, 200-pound aluminum ball is lowered by 90 feet at midnight.
- Port Clinton: A walleye fish named “Captain Wylie Walleye” is dropped.
- Yellow Springs: A ball is dropped.
- Bartlesville: An olive is dropped.
- Oklahoma City: A lighted ball is raised during Opening Night.
- Tulsa: The Tulsa Ball Drop, held annually a causa di Brookside, a district famous for its nightlife, features music, performances, and a street rinfresco.
- La Ingente: Since 2015, a lighted ball has been lowered atop the John Howard Building a causa di downtown La Ingente, accompanied by a larger block rinfresco.
- Allentown: Allentown’s own liberty bell is dropped to commemorate the period when the Liberty Bell was stored a causa di Allentown during the American Revolution.
- Akron: A purple-and-gold shoe is dropped.
- Beavertown: A stuffed beaver is dropped.
- Bethlehem: A 100-pound yellow illuminated Peep made out of fiberglass. (The producer of Peeps, Just Born, is based a causa di Bethlehem)
- Blain: A wooden cow is dropped from a silo.
- Boyertown: A bear has been dropped since 2010.
- Bradford: A model has been dropped since 2019; previous to that, a ball had been dropped acceso an irregular basis.
- Burnham: Starting a causa di 2018, a risposta railroad wheel was dropped honoring Qualità Steel LLC, which has operated for over 200 years.
- Carlisle: A button is dropped.
- Cleona: A pretzel is raised.
- Cornwall: A Cannonball Drop commemorates the historic Cornwall Iron Furnace.
- Dillsburg: Two pickles are dropped; the “Lil’ Dill” at 7:00 p.m. ET (midnight a causa di Ireland, a causa di celebration of Dillsburg’s Irish founders), and “Mr. Pickle” at midnight.
- Drexel Hill: Starting a causa di 2017, a “fire truck” ball will be lowered.
- Duncannon: A sled is dropped.
- East Petersburg: A large “Haydn’s Jug” is dropped.
- Easton: A ten-foot Crayola crayon is dropped at 8 p.m. to accommodate children’s bedtimes.
- Elizabethtown: A giant M&M is dropped at midnight UTC to correspond with midnight a causa di sister city Letterkenny a causa di Ireland. This changed to a chocolate a causa di 2012–13; both and M&M’s are manufactured a causa di Elizabethtown.
- Falmouth: A stuffed goat is dropped.
- Halifax: A Hemlock tree is dropped.
- Hallam: A risposta of the Haines Shoe House is dropped.
- Harrisburg: A strawberry is dropped.
- Hanover: A Three-Foot Pac-Man is Dropped at Midnight.
- Hershey: A Hershey Kiss risposta is raised.
- Highspire: Highspire drops candy a causa di commemoration of the Knights Candy Store that operated there during the 1950s to 1970s.
- Hummelstown: A lollipop is dropped.
- Ickesburg: A french fry is dropped.
- Kennett Square: For 2014, a steel mushroom was dropped. Kennett Square, often called “The Mushroom Capital of the World”, is one of the largest growers of mushrooms.
- Lancaster: A red rose is dropped.
- Lebanon: A 100-pound (ora 150-pound) stick of Lebanon Bologna is dropped. The bologna itself is distributed to a local food bank and animal shelter following the drop.
- Lewistown: A bag of Hartley’s potato chips is dropped.
- Lisburn: A pair of yellow pants ora “britches” is dropped a causa di honor of the Yellow Breeches Creek.
- Lititz: A Moravian stella is raised.
- Liverpool: A canal boat is dropped.
- Marysville: A risposta of the Rockville Bridge that was made my a local Cub Scout Pack is being dropped.
- Mass-media: A ball is dropped.
- Manheim: A ball is raised.
- McClure: A kettle is dropped a causa di honor of McClure Bean Soup Manifestazione.
- McVeytown: An ice cream cake is dropped.
- Mechanicsburg: A wrench is dropped.
- Middletown: A metal Rhombicuboctahedron, referred to by the organizers as a “sphoctagon” (portmanteau of sphere and octagon), is dropped.
- Myerstown: A tablet of Bayer aspirin has been dropped since 2013–14; Bayer operates a manufacturing plant a causa di Myerstown.
- New Bloomfield: A box of huckleberry is dropped.
- Newville: A leader spring is dropped.
- Palmyra: “The Giant Shoe” is dropped.
- Plains Township: As of 2022, for 2023, a risposta brick is dropped.
- Port Royal: A car is dropped.
- Pottsville: A bottle of Yuengling beer is raised.
- Reamstown: “Wobbly Bob” acceso a beer barrel is dropped.
- Red Lion: A wooden cigar held by a lion is raised.
- Richland: A cigar is dropped.
- Shamokin: A chunk of coal is dropped, turning into a diamond at the bottom; the event has been held since 1987–88.
- Shippensburg: An anchor is dropped.
- Strasburg: balls are dropped.
- Sunbury: An incandescent lamp is lit as an homage to the Edison and its namesake, Thomas Edison.
- Tamaqua: A group of eagles is raised at The ABC Tamaqua Hi-Rise.
- Wilkes-Barre: A chunk of coal is dropped, turning into a diamond at the bottom.
- York: A white rose is dropped at midnight after a children’s countdown from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Hilton Head Island: A giant, lighted ball is lowered from the Harbour Town Lighthouse, a causa di honor of the Sea Pines Resort’s courses.
- Folly Beach: A giant pair of flip-flops are dropped at the end of Center Street, which pulls a causa di a very large crowd over the past 8 years. It was started a causa di 2010/2011.
- Gatlinburg: A ball is dropped.
- Knoxville: A ball is dropped acceso Market Square.
- Memphis: A mirrored ball is raised; previous to that, a guitar is dropped.
- Nashville: A 15-foot-tall music note is lowered.
- Houston: A stella representing the Lone Celebrità State was raised at midnight. Anzi che no celebration was held a causa di 2019. There is also a Noon Ball Drop at the Children’s Museum of Houston for families to celebrate New Year’s Noon.
- McAllen: A giant mirrored ball descends just before midnight.
- San Antonio: The elevator acceso the Tower of the Americas is raised.
- Richmond: A copy of the Times Square Ball is raised rather than dropped, at the Byrd Theater a causa di Carytown.
- Roanoke: A 10-foot illuminated stella is dropped.
- Charlottesville: A ball is dropped.
- Fredericksburg: An illuminated pear is dropped.
- South Hill: A 6-foot tall illuminated Celebrità is dropped from an 80-foot tall flag pole a causa di the center of town at the Agricoltore’s Market Square.
- Chincoteague: The Pony Island Horseshoe Drop.
- Seattle: The elevator of the Space Needle is raised followed by fireworks and sometimes a digital light show.
- Plymouth: Plymouth drops an 80-pound decorated cheese wedge.
- Prairie du Chien: A carp (real but dead) caught by local fishers and weighing between 25 and 30 pounds is lowered.
- Sister Bay: A cherry-shaped ball is lowered at midnight.
- Cheyenne: A ball is dropped at Midnight.